Sunday, March 05, 2006

Zehava Gal'on

I just attended a political meeting with Zehava Gal'on, who is a member of the Knesset for the Meretz party.

It seems that the lady had very interesting ideas on personal liberty. First of all, she supported legalizing non-religious marriage and gay marriage (it was interesting to see how the tolerant leftists edged away when I pointed out I was bisexual). And she said she "supported the right of every woman to own her body and her life". But then it got weird:

"I would wish the government to provide free education since age 2 and up through college."

When I asked about school vouchers, pointing out they are already proposed by some right-wing parties, she said "It may be a good idea, but it's a right-wing idea." Also, she said she believes "it is the responsibility of the government to provide education.

I should have mentioned homeschooling.

There was also her stance on the military draft - she believes that every citizen should be granted the free choice to either serve in the military or... serve the government for two to three years in another manner. The rationale for that? "We provide you with free education, so you owe the government some service." - didn't I already pay for that with tax money?

There was a communist lass there who asked MK Gal'on why doesn't she oppose the fashion industry (it humiliates women, you see). Gal'on replied "Actually, I frequently speak out in public both against beauty contests and the fashion industry."

There also was a Labor agitator who tried to prove his party was the Real Left-Wing Party[tm].

More details of this silliness coming soon - and pictures, once I can upload them!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home